Saturday, January 23, 2010

God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers...

I Love you Mom!


A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. ~Washington Irving

I consider my mother one of my dearest friends and always enjoy her conversation and company. Now that I am a mother myself, I never realized how much my mother went through to raise me and how hard being a parent can be.

I had the experience once to be with a friend who received a phone call that her mother was in the hospital and not doing well. We went to her house and hurriedly packed a bag so she could jump on the next flight home. While packing the bag, the phone rang again with news that her mother had died. Only minutes had passed from her first phone call. I still tear up when I remember the agony my friend experienced upon receiving that call. We that that our parents will live forever and it is shocking to realize that they are indeed mortal, and may beat us back in our journey back to our Heavenly Father.While it is not Mother's Day, I hope you all realize how important your mother is to you.

It is hard not to get angry or frustrated when others treat their mothers with little respect. Your mother is not your servant, your personal taxi, or your personal ATM. Your mother is also a woman with life experience that you will never hope to catch up to until you have been a mother as long as she has. Mothers do what they feel is best for the growth of their child and do not necessarily need parenting advice from others, especially their own children. I think that we sometimes forget that our mothers are human too and have feelings just like we do.

While part of this post is to encourage others to remember their mothers and how much love a mother has for her child, the other part of this post is to say SHAME ON YOU to anyone who is not treating their mother with the love and respect that they deserve. While a mother will live in your heart forever, I hope you all take the opportunity to let your mother know how much you love and appreciate her while she is still here in person!

2 comments:

Mama Ferris said...

Thanks, Emily, I love and appreciate you, also. I sometimes feel guilty that I did not tell my mom more often that I loved her and appreciated all she did for me. I miss her. She did her part to shape my life the way it is today. My grandparents, too, especially my grandmother, also helped shape my life. I miss them all. I hope they are all watching over me and you, too.

Liz said...

Well, Emmy, you made me cry! I love you and mom very much and I hope I tell you that ALL THE TIME!!